Advanced Life Support (ALS) - overview
"Fantastic to be taught and mentored by well-respected rural colleagues"
- ACRRM Fellow
We have developed a one-day course incorporating key aspects of Advanced Life Support (ALS) skills in accordance with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines. The course is conducted by expert emergency medicine instructors experienced in rural general practice. Our course is open to members and non-members and aims to provide participants with the following skills and knowledge:
- an understanding of, and practical competence in both basic life support (including CPR, etc) and advanced life support with a focus on the issues that a rural practitioner might encounter
- competence in airway management techniques that include basic airway manoeuvres such as Guedel airway, bag and mask, oxygen therapy, and more advanced airway manoeuvres such as the use of laryngeal mask or intubation
- demonstrated ability to efficiently use a manual defibrillator and an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- demonstrated ability to identify and manage basic life threatening arrhythmias such as VF and VT, and
- competence in intravenous access or intraosseous access and have understanding of the administration of drugs in resuscitation, in particular the dose and frequency.
What it costs
Check the table below for course fees. Fees must be paid at the time of registration in order to secure a place. Participation numbers are strictly limited to 20 for maximum training benefit. Find out if you are eligible for a grant to help fund your attendance.
View the full course brochure.
Professional Development Program
ACRRM vocational training pathways
- Tier 2 emergency medicine course
- 40 category 1 points (including BLS requirement)
There is also a selection of other ALS courses, accredited for PDP points, presented by other education providers available.
To express your interest for future ALS dates please leave your details below and our courses team will be in contact once other dates become available.